What Is Lungo?
A normal espresso shot is required to be pulled for 18 to 30 seconds, while a lungo requires to be pulled for 1 minute. The extraction time of the also depends on the type of coffee that has been used, the pressure of the machine and grind size of the coffee as well. In French, a Lungo is called Cafe Allonge.
Texture and Taste of Lungo
The Lungo is more voluminous; being twice the size of an espresso shot, it has more water in it than the espresso but the same amount of coffee. It is weaker than other coffee beverages but more bitter than a regular cup of espresso.
How Much Caffeine Is in a Cup of Lungo?
This largely depends on the type and amount of coffee being used, the extraction time and the volume of the drink. However, an average cup of Lungo that measures 90 ml will roughly have around 65 mg of caffeine.
How to Make Lungo?
Step 1: The first thing you have to do while making a lungo shot is deciding your grind size. Usually it is recommended to have a coarse grind size for a lungo. Once you decide your grind size, make sure that it is uniform by grinding out a few grams.
Step 2: Once you have finalized your grind size, put two shots of coffee in the portafilter and grind the amount of coffee that you require. You can also use a scale to measure the exact quantity of coffee.
Step 3: Start your coffee brewing process. If your machine has preinfusion, use it and pre infuse the coffee for 10 seconds before the pump is up to full temperature.
Step 4: Pull a double shot of espresso in your cup or glass and enjoy the drink.
Step 5: Serve it with a spoon so that it is easy to mix the crema in the shot.
Recommended Coffee Machine
A lungo can be prepared with the help of any espresso machine. There are various kinds of espresso machines available. Some are automatic and have advanced features, while others have a more simple user interface. These machines fall in various price ranges so you can choose the one that fits in your budget. Following are some of the recommended coffee machines that will help you in brewing lungo:
- 1Breville Barista Pro
- 2Breville Barista Express Espresso Machine
- 3Gevi Espresso Machine
- 4De’Longhi Dinamica Automatic Espresso and Coffee Machine
- 5Nespresso by Breville VertuoPlus Deluxe Coffee and Espresso Machine
- 6Breville The Infuser Espresso Machine
Pros and Cons of Lungo
Here’s what’s good and what’s bad about Lungo:
Lungo Vs Espresso & Other Coffee Drinks
Benefits of Having Lungo
Drinking lungo has various benefits and some of them are given below:
- 1Lungo is popularly known to have positive effects on the mental health of an individual. It is said that having lungo helps people who are suffering from depression and anxiety. It has a calming effect which makes them feel fresh.
- 2People who love to have coffee but do not like it to be too strong can have lungo. It will satisfy their craving without having the strong caffeine flavor.
- 3Lungo is known to be a popular morning drink as it gives people the required energy that helps them throughout their day.
- 4Like all other types of coffee, lungo is also an excellent source of antioxidants. There are a lot of people who believe that it is an amazing addition to one’s lifestyle.
- 5Since lungo is greater in quantity, one cup a day may fulfill your craving. This can be helpful in keeping your caffeine consumption in control.
- 6Consuming lungo may also prevent heart stroke and other diseases
- 7Since lungo is bitter in taste, it may also be helpful for people who are addicted to caffeine. The bitterness may make them dislike the taste and may result in less caffeine consumption.
Even though consuming lungo or any other types of drink that has caffeine may be beneficial but it is essential that you consume it in a moderate way.