There are various coffee lovers all across the world and most of them love to brew coffee early in the morning. It is like a booster drink which gives them the energy to hustle all day long. One of the biggest nightmares of coffee fanatics is waking up early in the morning and not having a brewer, drip coffee maker or any other usual way to brew a cup of coffee. This leads them to choose instant coffee as their make-shift coffee. If you are interested in learning about other ways then read through this guide. It consists of a few new ideas that will help you enjoy your early morning coffee even if you do not have a coffee maker.
Things To Keep In Mind While Brewing Coffee Without A Coffee Maker
Since you do not have a coffee maker, there are a few chances that the coffee you brew won’t be one of your best. However, there are a few things that you should definitely consider that will help you brew coffee that is almost as good:
1. Use freshly ground coffee
Use freshly ground beans whenever possible. Their flavor lasts for 15-20 minutes before the beans start losing their taste.
2. Use freshly roasted coffee
A decent cup of coffee consists of freshly roasted beans. You can use beans that have been roasted 2 weeks before.
3. The right water
The type and temperature of water matters a lot. Boiling water will over-extract the beans; however, if it is too cold it will under-extract them. The right temperature varies with the brew method; however, any spot between 195-205 degrees is considered as a sweet spot.
4. Be resourceful
Try to work with the items that you have lying around and be more productive.
5 Ways To Make A Tasty Cup Of Joe
Following are 5 of the most easy ways to make coffee without a coffee maker:
1. The Cowboy Method
The Cowboy Method is one of the traditional ways of good coffee brewing. This method requires you to have ground coffee beans, stove/heat source, pan/pot, coffee cup/mug.
1. Fill a pan or pot with clean water. The water should be a little more than what you usually use to brew coffee. If you normally use two cups of water, while using the Cowboy Method use ¾ cups of water.
2. Turn on the stove and place the pot on your stove. Add coffee as soon as the coffee comes to boil. For every 6 ounces of coffee, you require 2 tablespoons of coffee. However, you can change it depending on how strong you would like your drink to be.
3. Take off the pot from the stove and cover it immediately. Let it rest for 4 to 5 minutes and then uncover the pan. Once all the grounds have settled at the base, know that your coffee is ready to serve. If the grounds have not settled, sprinkle a little cold water on them.
4. You have to pour the coffee into your cup and enjoy.
2. Use A Coffee Bag
In this method you have to use a coffee bag. A coffee bag is similar to a tea bag but it consists of coffee grounds. It is one of the easiest and quickest ways of making coffee if you do not have a coffee brewing machine. All you need is a coffee bag, hot water and your favorite coffee mug.
1. Put a pot or kettle on a stove and heat water or you can use a microwave oven to heat it as well. Boil water and then immediately turn off the heat. Let it rest for 30 seconds.
2. Put a coffee bag in a coffee mug and pour water slowly into it. Ensure that the coffee bag is saturated with hot water to the level that you desire.
3. Steep the coffee bag for 4 minutes in the hot water. Adjust the strength of the brew according to your preference. If you want a weaker coffee then steep the coffee bag for 2-3 minutes, otherwise 5-6 minutes.
4. Once you reach the desired time, carefully remove the bag and discard it.
3. Make A DIY Coffee Bag
This method is similar to the Coffee Bag method; however, to use it, you have to make your own coffee bag. For this, you can use a tea bag and replace the tea with coffee grounds. Some people prefer this method over a ready-bag coffee bag as it allows you to grind fresh beans. For this method, you need a heat source, hot water, coffee grounds and string.
1. Use a heat source and bring water to boil. Once it starts boiling, remove it from the stove.
2. Take the usual amount of coffee that you use when brewing a cup of coffee.
3. Place the coffee grounds on the filter paper and tie the top of the paper tightly with a string. Make sure that you do not tie it too tightly because then the coffee grounds won’t be able to bloom. Also, make sure that the string is long enough so you can easily pull it out of the mug.
4. Put the coffee bag inside the mug and pour water over it. Fill the cup according to your preference and make sure that the bag is properly submerged in water so that the grounds are extracted properly.
5. Keep the bag in the mug and let it steep. Let it steep for 2-3 minutes if you like a weaker brew but if you like a stronger brew then give it 5-6 minutes.
6. Once the steeping time is up, remove the bag and discard it.
4. Improvised French Press
This method is ideal for times when you do not have a French press but you still crave for a rich, oily and flavorful coffee that a French press brews. This method is more or less similar to the Cowboy Method but it requires more finesse. For this, you will need 2 clean mugs, freshly grinded coffee and hot water.
1. Grind your coffee beans to a coarse grind. Remember that you want your coffee grounds to have a texture which is similar to sea salt.
2. Put grounds in an empty, clean cup and pour hot water to cover the grounds. Make sure that the water is cooled for thirty seconds after boiling. Wait for thirty seconds and let the ground bloom.
3. Once the thirty seconds time is up, you can pour the rest of the water and fill the cup.
4. Start a timer and make sure that you allow the coffee to brew for 4 minutes. If you want a stronger coffee, let it brew for another one minute.
5. Once the time is up, carefully transfer the coffee to a clean cup that you will be drinking from. Transferring the water requires finesse which won’t be difficult with a steady hand. The wet grounds would have settled at the bottom of the steeping cup so make sure that you do not pour in the last 30 millimeters.
5. Make Turkish Coffee
This method helps you prepare a thick and frothy brew. It won’t help you brew a traditional Turkish coffee but it will help you get a deep brew.
1. Add 6 ounces of cold water per serving into a pot and put it on low heat.
2. Add one heaping tablespoon of coffee into the pot. Add sugar, if desired.
3. When the water is about to boil, take it off the heat and remove the foam. Put the foam into your coffee cup.
4. Put the pot back on the heat. Allow it to get near a boil again and then remove it from the heat.
5. Pour the coffee into the cup and put the pot back on the stove. Boil for another 15 seconds and remove again.
6. Pour it into your coffee mug and let it sit for 2-3 minutes so that the coffee settles at the bottom.
7. Once it settles, your coffee will be ready for you to enjoy.
People Reviews On These Methods
A lot of people believe that these methods seem weird initially; however, once you get used to it, you start liking them. Most of these methods are easy as well as enjoyable. These methods can also be used when you are out on camping trips. You will be needing a few things like coffee grounds, a heat source, saucepan, coffee mug, etc.