What Is Arabica Coffee?
Arabica coffee is made from the beans of the plant species Coffee Arabica which originated in Ethiopia. It was in the 7th century that the bean went from Ethiopia to what is today known as Yemen and lower Arabia - hence the term ‘Arabica.’ Arab scholars discovered that coffee made from roasted Arabica beans helped them stay awake and active while studying.
Why Is Arabica Coffee So Popular?
The reasons for the popularity of Arabica coffee are multiple. It contains twice the amount of sugar and half the caffeine of Robusta beans. This gives the coffee stronger flavor, cleaner mouthful, less acidity and decreased bitterness, making it extremely famous and liked by coffee aficionados around the world.
What Does Arabica Coffee Taste Like?
High quality Arabica coffee has a mild soft taste with notes of sugar and chocolate; you may also notice slight hints of nuts, caramel, berries and fruit. There will also be a certain level of acidity and a bit of bitterness. In cold brew, the sweet flavors of Arabica beans are more apparent.
The degree to which you’ll notice the above mentioned flavors depends on the roast you choose. Also, the area and soil composition the beans are grown in play a big part in the balance of these flavors. In order to enjoy the original yummy flavor of Arabica coffee, it is essential to store the beans properly to retain their freshness.
Starbucks Medium Roast Ground Arabica Coffee
Which Is More Expensive, Arabica Or Robusta?
Generally, Arabica coffee is more expensive than Robusta. This is because Arabica is a lot more difficult to cultivate due to its sensitivity to the environment and also because it produces less per hectare as compared to Robusta. Arabica needs very specific cultivation requirements such as the right weather and altitude in order for it to grow to its full potential. It is also very delicate and prone to diseases, leaf rust disease in particular. The beans from the Arabica plant are oval and larger than Robusta. Most importantly, Arabica has a higher demand but lower yields. All these factors combined make Arabica coffee far more expensive than Robusta.
Arabica Vs Robusta Coffee
1. The caffeine content in Arabica coffee is typically 1.5% while robusta contains 2.7%. Considering the negative effects of excessive caffeine intake, Arabica would be a better choice.
2. Arabica coffee contains double the amount of sugar content in Robusta. Since most people prefer sweet over bitter coffee, this is one of the main reasons for the popularity of Arabica.
3. Robustas are easier to grow because they are less vulnerable to weather conditions and pests. Arabica beans on the other hand require a consistent climate and specific temperature to grow properly.
4. The flavor of Arabica coffee is far more pleasant than Robusta. It is rich with hints of chocolate, berries, nuts and fruits. Robusta has a more bitter and rubbery taste.
5. Before it is roasted, Arabica coffee beans smell a bit like blueberries while the smell of Robusta is more like the smell of peanuts.
6. Arabica coffee is more expensive because it’s more difficult to cultivate, has lower yields, better taste and higher demand.
Which Is Better, Arabica Or Colombian Coffee?
Columbian coffee is essentially Arabica coffee grown in Colombia. However, this does not mean that there is no difference between the two. The ground in which the plant grows plays a pivotal role in the flavor and quality of the coffee. Also, Colombian coffee goes through the additional step of bean washing which further influences the flavor of the coffee. The process of its harvesting and processing is quite different from the traditional process. After the beans are picked, they are mashed which convert them into a pulp form. This is then washed off within two or more days using a lot of water and some serious skills.
Since Arabica and Colombian coffee come from the same plant, there isn't much difference in their nutritional value. It is only the process that follows the picking of the beans that brings about the differences between Colombian and Arabica coffee. The answer to which of the two coffee types is better totally depends on your preferences. If you like your coffee strong, you should go for the Arabica blend and if you need a mild dose to wake you up in the morning, Columbian coffee would be more suitable. The reason for many people preferring Colombian coffee is its higher caffeine value and lower acidity level.
Arabica Vs Colombian Coffee
1. Colombian coffee is a variety of Arabica coffee, grown exclusively in Columbia.
2. Colombian coffee can be prepared instantly while Arabica coffee needs to be brewed before consumption.
3. Colombian coffee is more expensive than Arabica coffee due to the time and effort that’s invested in its bean washing/processing.
4. Colombian coffee has twice the amount of caffeine you find in Arabica coffee. Also, because of the extra step of bean washing, it has a reduced acidity level.
5. Arabica coffee has a stronger flavor while Colombian coffee is known for its mild taste. This is why people with health issues usually find Colombian coffee easy to consume (although no major difference in their nutritional content).
Arabica Coffee Health Benefits
Known for its careful cultivation, high quality and sweet flavor, Arabica coffee also has enormous health benefits. Let’s have a look at some of them.
1. It is rich in antioxidants.
2. Its caffeine content helps one stay active and improves focus.
3. It has lesser calories as it does not require additional sugar or milk.
4. It contains minerals and vitamins such as magnesium, potassium, niacin, riboflavin and manganese.
5. According to a study, it can help you stay hydrated because it is 95% water.
6. It is also said to have beneficial results when used in skin care products (it moisturizes, nourishes, tones and smoothes)
7. It has a delicious flavor.
Folgers Colombian Medium Roast Ground Coffee
The Arabica coffee bean has a large family from which different varieties are cultivated and used to create various brands. Since it is grown in strict conditions with utmost vigilance, it has a high quality, complex flavor and enormous health benefits.